Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:16:33 -0500
From:      "Paul Horechuk" <phorechuk@docucom.ca>
To:        "Wilko Bulte" <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: nfs_fsync: not dirty  error in 4.5-RELEASE

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wilko Bulte" <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To: "Bruce Campbell" <bruce@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc: "Doug White" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>;
<freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: March 27, 2002 3:32 PM

> > I have maxusers of 300 and 500 on 2 other systems, which have been
up 253
> > days, and 109 days.  I'll try changing it back anyway, if I get
any more
> > panics.  Thanks for the suggestion.
> >
> > > set maxusers to 0 and allow the kernel to autosize.
> >
> > I do that on most of my FreeBSD systems, but on a few, I wanted to
support
> > 10,000 open files, and the default chosen by the kernel with 512MB
memory
> > was 7312 files.

I had a similar problem with the 10,000 open files, but this was samba
related. What has worked for me was to set sysctl.kern.maxfiles=12000.
I picked this out of the air as being > 10000, but the errors went
away. maxusers is set at 0, so there seems to be a problem with the
autosizing with regards to samba at least.