Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:30:45 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what is stuck here?!

On Aug 23, 2005, at 8:34 AM, dpk wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:
>

>> hello!
>>
>> how come *nothing* happens when i rm -rf directory/?
>> it just won't move ...
>>
>> top from another terminal tells me:
>> 55272 root     116    0 14396K 13768K RUN      0:27 36.13% 35.40% rm
>>
>> what? the directory/ only contains a .maildir/, a .muttrc and an
>> empty directory
>> it's not an immutable flag that has been set,
>> chflags -R nouchg directory/ stands equally still to rm -rf
>>

> It's probably busy calculating the list of directory entries to
> remove. If
> you have /proc mounted try:
>
> truss -p 55272
>
> to see what it is doing. If you don't, and you have KTRACE in your
> kernel,
> you can try:
>
> ktrace -i -d -p 55272
> kdump -l
>
> to monitor the process.

     Do you have any open filehandles as well in that directory? I
could see this as being a problem if a program is keeping one or more
files open in a directory and in fact the program is blocking rm -rf
from completing its task. However, I've never seen Unix do this
before; this would instead be a problem inherent of Windows.
-Garrett