Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:21:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      Bogusz Jelinski <bogusz@lib.amu.edu.pl>
To:        J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with compiling hallo world programm

A few days ago I asked you what the problem might be with
my FBSD unable to compile a simple C programm, remember?
I am reminding you about it because I not only solved my
problem but found a funny thing concerning dynamic
linking as well - when I untared the bin.?? distribution (2.1.5) and
copied the libraries into /usr/lib (replacing the existing files, which
were the same but installed a few months ago) some programms began to crash
badly (telnetd could not reference some symbols) so I copied the newly
untared telnetd (CHANGING OF COURSE ONLY THE DATE OF CREATION - diff
did not indicate any differences between the new and old one) and all has
been working all right since.
It seems to me that ld.so checks for creation dates and fails if there is
no older library to link with.
The less funny thing is that the passwd encrypting method has changed
somehow and I have to change 250 passwords.

Bogusz