Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 20:30:10 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        wheely <wheely@thevortex.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP: !bg processes

> At 09:51 PM 14/06/98 , Brian Somers wrote:
> >> I have just upgraded my user PPP that came with 2.2.5-RELEASE to ppp980612
> >> and I cannot get the !bg processes to send back their results to the
> >> console. How do you do this with the new PPP version? Ideally I would like
> >> to define for each process if the results are sent back or not as I want to
> >> see what the results of my Dynamic DNS update but not know about sendmail
> >> etc starting.
> >
> >It's not possible.  Ppp puts the process in the background and
> >disowns it so that it doesn't have to muck around with non-blocking
> >wait()s and doesn't leave piles of defunct processes hanging around.
>
> I might as well revert to user-ppp in 2.2.5 as this version supported it.

I don't follow.  What did it support ?  2.2.5 redirects descriptors 0
1 & 2 to /dev/null, fork()s and daemon(1, 1)s before execing the
program.  This is exactly the same behaviour as the 980612 version.

> >Why do you want to know ?  Can't you decide in whatever script or
> >program that you're running on what to do on failure (even use pppctl
> >to tell ppp to do something) ?
>
> I don't really need ppp to do something (haven't looked at that side of
> things). If there is an error with the program it dumps a webpage of
> details about the error, but all i am really interested in is it telling me
> if it ran without errors or if there was one.

How is it supposed to tell you ?

> Heres the URL to the program.
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/6494/mlddc.html
>
> >> Also is it possible to echo on the console part of the login process
> >> without using the term? One of my ISP's has a MOTD after I (or the chat
> >> script) enter my password.
> >
> >  set log local +chat
>
> That displays the whole lot, I'm looking for an event like:
>
> Expect "Welcome"
> set log local +chat
> Expect [ppp gibberish]
> set log local -chat

Well, I guess if you really need just this, you could run pppctl from
the chat script and get it to connect back to ppp and switch chat
logging on:

  set login "\"\" \"\" ogin: name word: passwd col: \"!pppctl \\\\-p xxx /var/run/ppp set log +chat\" \"\" ppp \"\" \"!pppctl \\\\-p xxx /var/run/ppp set log -chat\""

Should work ;-)

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;