Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:18:52 -0600
From:      "Bouchard, David" <dbouchard@InfinitecNetworks.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3COM 905-TX Can't map ports/memory error

I've recently completed an instalation of FreeBSD but I have one problem.  I
can't seem to get the ethernet card to work.

During boot-up, the messages I get are:

xl0: <3Com 3c905-TX Fast Etherlink XL> irq 11 at device 16.0 on pci0
xl0: couldn't map ports/memory
device_probe_and_attach: xl0 attach returned 6

I used the 3com utility to get the following information about the
card:
Interrupt Level: 11
I/O Base: FC40
Slot # 16
Ethernet Address: 00600815F3E6

The information I got from doing a uname -s is:
FreeBSD systest.infinitecnetworks.com 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #1:
Wed Nov 15 14:43:51 CST 2000
root@systest.infinitecnetworks.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/SYSTEST	i386

As you can tell, I have recompiled the kernel (it didn't work before that,
either).  I made sure I had the miibus support loaded when I did this as
well.  I have also tried loading the miibus support as a module, and that
hasn't worked either.  No matter what I have tried, I continue to get the
above message.

Any suggestions?  I've looked in the handbook, searched the mailing list
archives, and through various FAQs to no avail.

Thanks in advance,
David