Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 20:51:00 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd release email account <freebsdrelease@cr759667-a.nvcr1.bc.wave.home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Usernames login at bootup

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0004041829220.4131-100000@cr759667-a.nvcr1.bc.wave.ho
me.com>, freebsd release email account wrote:
} Hello, is it possible to have a username login at bootup automaticly.  If
} so, how do I do it and can I limit it to a single console.

In your /etc/ttys, put something like:
ttyv0 "/usr/libexec/getty Autologin_hamilton"   cons25  on  secure

And then in /etc/gettytab:
Autologin_hamilton:\
  :ht:np:sp#115200:al=hamilton:

I ran across this by accident some time ago while trolling through the
gettytab man page looking for something, and have been using it since.
Obviously, you have to be aware of the security implications of doing
this :)

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com