Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 1995 12:50:13 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@apollo.hq.nasa.gov>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, newell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: Install -- SCSI geometry incorrect (was OK before!)

>I've been running FreeBSD (-stable) OK off a 350MB wd disk with
>another filesystem on a 1GB scsi. Recent attempts to rebuild the
>system (from -current) indicated my / partition was too small so I'm
>
>I repartitioned the wd ok, but when I try to repartition the sd it
>tells me that the geometry is incorrect and to use the G(eometry) menu
>to fix it manually; for some reason it seems to think the disk has
>three heads or something.
>
>I tried the specs listed in www.seagate.com (2700 cyls / 9 heads / 84 sec/trk)
>but again the install:parition fails on incorrect geometry.
>
>I think maybe I trashed something, so use the AHA controller's
>diagnostic boot menu to format the drive. After an 30 minutes or so
>formatting, I try again. And again, geometry error on the parameters
>which format apparantly put on the drive (oops, didn't write them
>down)-:.
>
>Any ideas here, and how to recover?
>
>Thanks.

You should use the Adaptec translated geometry for the disc: (64 heads,
32 sectors/track, #MB on the drive cylinders) standard, (255,63,
#MB/7) if you have extended translation enabled.  The best way to
make this happen is to make a small dos partition on the disk that
you can either leave or blow away during the FreeBSD install.  FreeBSD
will pull the proper geometry out of the DOS partion so you don't
have to enter it manually.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM