Date:      Wed, 31 May 2006 08:37:00 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Philip Radford <phil@chycor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting to a second hard disk

Philip Radford wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed FreeBSD 5.4 on a server with two hard disks.

Cool ... :)

> I have access to all my partitions on the first disk :-
>
> /dev/ad0s1a - /
> /dev/ad0s1e - /tmp
> /dev/ad0s1f - /usr
> /dev/ad0s1d - /var
>
> How do I go about mounting to the second drive which I
> assume would start with /dev/ad1*

$ dmesg | grep ad

might help you turn the assumption into known fact.  It will
be "ad1" if (and only if) it's an ATA (not SCSI) hard disk on the
primary IDE controller in the slave position.  For example, the
"secondary master" is ad2.

> I can find no reference to devices in the /dev directory
> and there is no MAKEDEV script as I have used on a previous unix OS.

FreeBSD 5 and later uses devfs, therefore no MAKEDEV is necessary.
However, I don't think you'll see any /dev/ad1 entries until you
prepare the disk.  Brief overview is "fdisk, bsdlabel, newfs".

See www.freebsd.org/handbook, chapter 17 --- in particular, 17.3
is "Adding Disks".

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

--
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
		-- Tallulah Bankhead