Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:52:51 +0100
From:      "Thomas Gielfeldt" <thomas@gielfeldt.dk>
To:        "Archie Cobbs" <archie@dellroad.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MPD + NETGRAPH and BRIDGING

> > >Instead of using MPD, it might be simpler to bridge via UDP packets.
> > >E.g. combine ng_bridge with ng_ksocket. You could secure this via
IPSec.

> > Okay, thanks. But won't I still have to use MPD? You see the reason I'm
> > using MPD in the first place is to connect a windows client. I can see
that
> > W2K and WXP can use IPSec, but it still uses PPP as far as I remember.
>
> But does Windows PPP support PPP bridging? I didn't think so.

I believe that is irrelevant. The tun-device simulates two nics connected as
far as I understand. Only the endpoint on the freebsd machine needs to be
bridged, not the one on the client side. At least I can see all traffic on a
tcpdump on the tun-device, even broadcasts.

I would want mpd to handle the tunneling traffic for me, and then instead of
sending the data to/from the tun-device (ng0), it could send it to an
ethernet device (eg. tap0). That way I could not assign an ip-address to the
tap-device, but use it for bridging instead.

But perhaps what I'm suggesting is a hack?

/Thomas