Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 02:27:41 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Are Bryne <are.bryne@communique.no>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems in configuring modem (Microcom pccard)

Sorry for the delay on this.

> I'm having some trouble getting a MICROCOM, Inc. TRAVELCARD FAST 28.8
> DATA/FAX MODEM to work.
>
> The basic hardware is a Compaq LTE Elite 4/50CX with a VLSI chip pcic
> controller. The pcic is set up to use irq 9.

Where is it "set up" to use IRQ 9?  Does this match the IRQ that the
'pcic' driver claims it's using?

> The following is the /etc/pccard.conf file I set up:
>
> -------- start /etc/pccard.conf --------
> # Generally available IO ports
> io      0x240-0x360
> # Generally available IRQs (Built-in sound-card owners remove 5)
> # sio0 and sio1 not found, therefore irqs 3 and 4 are free.
> irq     3 4 5 15
> # Available memory slots
> memory  0xd4000  96k
>
> # Microcom TravelCard FAST 28.8 data/fax modem
> card "MICROCOM, Inc." "TRAVELCARD FAST 28.8 DATA/FAX"
>         config  0x32 "sio2" 15
>         insert  echo Microcom TravelCard FAST 28.8 inserted
>         remove  echo Microcom TravelCard FAST 28.8 removed
> --------  end /etc/pccard.conf  --------
>
> The results of pccardc dumpcis are shown in an attachment.
>
> The first strange thing is that if I add MODEM to the end of the device
> identifier string, as it is reported from dumpcis, then I get the
> following output from pccardd -d:

There's an arbitrary limit on the length of the string, I believe.  The
error message you get here:

> Mar  9 14:11:55 mediateket pccardd[228]: No card in database for "MICROCOM, Inc.
> "("TRAVELCARD FAST 28.8 DATA/FAX")

means that it didn't find the device in /etc/pccard.conf.

> If I remove the MODEM part, ie. use /etc/pccard.conf as shown above, I am
> granted with the following:
>
> Mar  9 14:13:27 mediateket /kernel: Map I/O 0x3e8 (size 0x8) on Window 0
> Mar  9 14:13:27 mediateket pccardd[230]: driver allocation failed for MICROCOM,
> Inc.

This indicates that either all the 'sio' drivers in your kernel are
already committed to devices, or the probe failed.

> I've tried other sio/irq/port address values, but to no avail. I've also
> MAKEDEV'd the necessary /dev/cuaa2 and put in /dev/ttyd2 for good luck.
> I've just sent out another message to freebsd-hardware about a
> non-functional sio0 port (in FreeBSD, not Windows95). Could this be
> related?

They may be related insofar as the 'sio' driver typically expects
serial ports to behave like "real" UARTs, and the current crop of
devices includes many that fall far short of this.  8(

> By the way: what's the rule for using the pccard modems on already
> configured sio devices? Say I've got both sio0 and sio1 as physical ports
> on the machine. Can these be disabled by FreeBSD (or only BIOS)  to allow
> the pccard to use eg. sio1? Or don't I have to disable them, or what?

You need a free sio device; you can arrange this by configuring eg.
sio2 and marking it disabled.

> Also: Is it safe to use irq 15 as shown above? The second wd controller is
> not disabled in bios, but _is_ disabled in FreeBSD. IIRC the bios doesn't
> allow me to disable the controller.

It's generally not a good idea to try to reuse any resources, even if
you're not using any device(s) attached to them.  Apart from this and
the possible IRQ curiosity above, I think you're very close to having
it all correct and working...