Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:29:24 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1019708964.b7cd53@mired.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/rc.conf theory

In <20020419181021.X18267-100000@zoot.corp.yahoo.com>, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org> typed:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I really hate to see the suggestion that people copy files from
> > /etc/defaults to /etc. This really breaks the paradigm of having only
> > changes in defaults in /etc so that defaults can be changed with a
> > normal system update.
> 	But that was never the paradigm. There are a few different ideas
> about why the defaults file should exist (none of which I'm particularly
> fond of, btw) but silently changing defaults out from under the users
> isn't really all that good of an idea, no matter how well intentioned it
> might be.

Note that copying /etc/defaults/rc.conf to /etc/rc.conf does *not* fix
this problem. Any name changes in the defaults file will cause your
system to revert to the default behavior if you don't catch it,
whether you change that behavior or not. Sure, such changes are rare -
but so are changes in the default behavior. So it's really a tossup
whether making the copy will save you pain or not. Given that, I
prefer to keep /etc/rc.conf short. That also means I like the changes,
as it means /etc/rc.conf lists every network service started from the
base system.

	<mike