Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:49:58 -0600
From:      "Dragon Knight ][" <dragonknight@dtgnet.com>
To:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Certification...again

Some very interesting points have been brought up so
far in this thread, but I thought I might just add to it. So
here goes.  In my experience talking to NT / Novell
network admins the Microsoft and Novell type Cert's
are fairly difficult and provide a really good reference
as to a persons ability to do the job.  In fact, many
computer shops around here require you to obtain your
MCSE or something of the like within six months of
being hired.  On the other hand, when I talk to some of
the guys who run a local ISP, run mostly with FreeBSD
and a little NT, they consider the Microsoft certification
a complete joke.  They are all Microsoft certified, of
course, and they don't deny that it has helped them at
least get an interview in the past.  I guess there is more
than one point to this...   Even though they consider
MS Certification laughable, having it has helped them
to a certain degree in their careers.  .. ..  Why do the
NT guys swear by their certification and the nix guys
seem the be somewhat seperated about it?
I, for one, think that certification is a great idea, but only
if it is done correctly.  The tests must be ever changing /
evolving with computer and related technology and the
OS.  There should be several types of certification, each
with different levels of..   expertise.  Perhaps depending
upon how much a person could recall from memory, or
how much experience they have..  or both.  Even being
certified at the lowest level should require substantial
knowledge of what you are being certified in (eg: the
tests need to be difficult).  And for the higher levels of
certification you might consider evaluation of the person
to be certified by other admin's while the evaluated
goes through trying and meticulously planned drills on
a real network.  IMHO, FreeBSD is one of the best OS's
out there, and any type of certification for it should be the
best out there.  If some sort of certification does happen
sometime in the future, it should not be a good certification,
it should be taken over the top so as to be one of the
best nix type certifications out there.  I'm only a Junior in
high school, but if such a beast did exist...  I'd save my
pennies for it without hesitation.

Samuel Greear