Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:46:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        security@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   challenge, response, ssh, and a proposal

Hey all...

I have a quick question that I've scoured the net for and really can't
find the answer to.

It goes like this:

When using a challenge/response based auth scheme, like s/key, opie, or a
cryptocard, one first gets the challenge, then enters the response as
their password.  The issue with this is that some of the protocols and
clients don't seem to have a great facility for backpassing of the
challenge to the user.

For example, with SecureCRT, which I've used, I cannot seem to find a
place where it would hand you the challenge.

When doing ssh with opie, does it "let you in" enough to prompt for the
response onscreen (rather than a dialog box?), os is this simply not
supported.

On the same note, if one were to use OTP with ppp, is there a ppp stack
out there that supports challenge/response, or must this be done via a
terminal window?

What about pop3?  ftp?

I mean, in THEORY, mail and ftp are less of a concern, as they can
(SOMEWHAT) be limited to the running of arbitrary code as the user, but my
situation is not one where one can set up ssh tunneling on five or six
ports with non-standard clients.  Enterprise networks have this option.  I
don't.  My users should be free to use their choice of software.  Their
responsibilities are (at the moment) not to use weak passwords (I run
crack regularly).

I'm working on implementing cryptocards on my system, and have a rather
simple proposal, that avoids the problems I've outlined.

It goes a little something like this:

You load a webpage (http or https) (or ssh or telnet in, it doesn't
matter).  At this point you're presented with your challenge, you compute
the response (or enter your s/key response).  After that, you are handed a
session password.  The session password effectively becomes your system
password, for any access FROM THAT IP for (A) Any access until a specified
timeout (inactivity timeout) or (b) a hard-timeout or (c) until the user
closes the webpage or initial auth session.  Naturally, the webpage (or
console app) would have the option to kill off the session key as well.

Of course, for any protocol that supports it (some ftpds can, su and
telnet can, ssh, i'd love to know how it handles it from someone who's
done it), you can still use your standard challenge/response system.

Given, this MIGHT require users to use user@realm (user@plaintext,
user@opie, user@skey, user@cryptocard, user@session) authentication or
something like that, but this is all pam-able, or should be.

Since cryptocards work via pam-radius it's easy enough to either add
attributes to the radius server to handle this or to write a modified PAM,
but in theory this should also be extensible to a pure-pam solution like
opie and s/key.

This solves the problem of "no support in the client", and should be
fairly easy to implement via PAM.  It's also scalable to other things,
like ibuttons and securid cards, and even biometrics (which are just
really neat to make your geek friends all mouth-watery.)

I've BCCed my cryptocard sales rep on this email, but I'm interested in
hearing any ideas anyone on this list has about (A) The possible problems
and considerations (B) If there would be interest in such a project and
(C) If there's been anything started related that I should know
about.  This SOUNDS like what Kerberos does, in a sense, but kerberos
support isn't found much in clients either (the last client I used that
supported it was NCSA telnet for the mac).

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

-Dan Mahoney

--

Pika Pika Pika!