Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:03:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "R. D. Davis" <rdd@smart.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   System crash, etc. after 4.0 upgrade

Greetings,

After a few years of happily using FreeBSD 2.2.4, and telling others of it's
rock-solid dependability, I upgraded to 4.0 and am now without the use
of my system. :-(  4.0 appeared to be all that was shipping; did I
misunderstand that it's now consideded stable?

brief summary of this long message:

- can't access restore from my 4mm SCSI tape drive - I get the dir. listing,
  but get errors when trying to extract the files - drive is an HP
  SureStore.

- 8mm SCSI drive is inaccessible - a Banyan badged Exabyte 8200

- ethernet interface ed0 does not exist

- lastly, I now have, for some odd reason, a bad super block on the drive
  (IDE) containing / and /usr; can't even fsck it.

When installing 4.0, I first made the mistake of not realizing that I'd
need more disk space on / and /usr for the upgrade... got past that, but
on the 2nd install, I lost the contents of my saved /etc as that was
overwritten.  Not to worry, I thought, as I had backups on 4mm and 8mm
tapes.

With the 4mm drive, during the restore, after the "specify next volume"
message (I entered a "1", as I only used one tape for the backup), the
following messages appeared:

(sa0:aha0:0:3:0): CCB 0xc41024 - timed out
Jul 16 04:34:33 rhiannon /kernel: (sa0:ah0:0:3:0) CCB0x41024 - timed out
Jul 16 04:34:33 rhiannon /kernel: (sa0:ah0:0:3:0) CCB0x41024 - timed out
(sa0:aha0:0:3:0): CCB 0xc41024 - timed out
aha: aha_cmd: Timout waiting for adapter idle
ahainitmboxes: Initialization error
aha0: No longer in timeout
Tape read error while skipping over inode 193
Tape read error while trying to resynchronize
continue? [yn] y

When y selected, prompt kept reappearing; when I selected n, system hung.

Next, I tried the 8mm drive and got:

/kernel: (sa0:aha0:0:3:0): mode sense(06). CDB:1a 0 f 0 1c 0
/kernel: (sa0:aha0:0:3:0): error code 0

There was also another error about not being able to access the drive,
but I forgot to write it down.  I have restored files with this drive
under 2.2.4, as well as Solaris on my Sun 4/110 which I fortunately
keep running (should have made the backup to one of it's nearly empty
disks... ah well).

As to ethernet, which I couldn't access as I did with 2.2.4:

ifconfig: interface ed0 does not exist
using interface tun0

Note: I was able to get PPP working.

Lastly, the most discouraging problem appeared after I attempted to
install the /usr/src/sys files to build a new kernel, thinking that
the SCSI_DELAY parameter needed to be made larger.  The HD ended up
with about -4,000 (note the '-') blocks of space left; I did delete
the files to have at least a couple megabytes free, but I guess
something strange happened when the disk filled up, or perhaps not.
Or, did the following render the sytem unbootable and unfsckable?
I think tha tI may have accidentally saved a file to / with netscape
which I never ran as root before, but, not having fixed the password
file that was lost, I made that mistake as I needed to read a PDF
file to learn something for work the next day.

Anyway, the next morning, I discovered that the system had crashed and
was unbootable.

WARNING: / was not properly dismounted.

dscheck (#wd/0x20000): b_count 1025 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 512)
Root mount failed: 22
Mounting root from ufs: wd0s1a
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
dscheck (#wd/0x20000): b_count 1025 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 512)
Root mount failed: 22
Mounting root from ufs: wd0a
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
dscheck (#wd/0x20000): b_count 1025 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 512)
Root mount failed: 22

Manual root filesystem specification
<fstype>:<device> ...
?
<empth line> ...
mountroot>

No idea what I was to enter at that prompt.

I attempted to mount the live filesystem CD-ROM and
fsck the root and /usr partitions (swap and var are also on that disk) and
was informed by fsck that:

bad super block: values in super block disagree with those
in first alternate /dev/ad0s1: incomplete label: type 4.2BSD
fsize 0, frag 0, cpg 0, size 65536

Can anyone please help with the above problems?

To the FreeBSD developers: Thanks for the trouble-free years that I had
with 2.2.4.

--
R. D. Davis
rdd@perqlogic.com