Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:57:19 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <TrimYourCc@NUXI.com>
To:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update port: sysutils/gtar - 1.13.19

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 02:49:43AM +0100, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> > There's a total of... find... grep... seven ports that have an
> > alpha.gnu.org master site.  That's hardly worth an entry in
> > bsd.sites.mk.
>
> in fact, there are some other ports which may be upgraded from
> alpha.gnu.org and some added, such as findutils, paxutils, gnubg,
> etc.

I *highly* caution people from using the GNU "alpha" versions just
because they exist.  I also would hate to see a proliferation of
"-devel" ports just because they exist.  A port should use the "best"
distfile available.  In the gtar case, I understand why the "alpha"
version is being used.  I've had discussions with the GNU maintainer, and
it is better than the last [so called] released version.  But in other
cases, a port should just use the released version, not an "alpha"
version just because it is "sexy"....

Is the alpha version of findutils really any better than the released
version?  Those versions are on alpha.gnu.org for a _reason_.

> also, I'm thinking about making these ports as -devel as gtar should

Make them -alpha, or -snapshot please.