Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:16:58 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
From:      Martin Sapsed <m.sapsed@bangor.ac.uk>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        "M.Sapsed" <m.sapsed@bangor.ac.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1/amd problems

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> As M.Sapsed wrote:
>
> > >  More of a problem is that my automounted (via
> > > amd) home directory fails to appear when doing an ls or anything else,
> > > although it is mounted and ls of small subdirectories works fine. The
> > > home directory has 221 entries and another subdirectory which fails has
> > > 162 (I know they're large but they should work!) If I ask for ls on
> > > these dirs, it just sits there for about 30 mins until a message
> > >
> > > /kernel: nfs server server:/path/path: not responding
> > >
> > > appears. If you then do ctrl-C you get a prompt back and can get an
> > > instant listing of the smaller directories.
>
> Mike Murphy reported me a similar problem (there's even PR # bin/1872
> open for it), where he finally found that the problem was the slow
> 8-bit ethernet card of his server.  Setting NFS readdir size down to
> 1024 might help, but amd doesn't offer this option.  Frankly, amd's
> option handling in this respect just sucks, there are more options to
> mount_nfs(8) now that are not supported by amd (like the NFSv3 stuff).

I heard from Mike after my newsgroup post. My machine has a 16-bit WD
ethercard.

I have since found that if I explicitly "mount server:/path /mnt" there
are no problems getting directory listings. Does this imply something to
do with the NFSV3 support in 2.2.x ? mount -3 blah gets an error. This
all worked fine in 2.1.7.

The server in question runs SunOS 4.1.2 and the top of the amd map is
like this:

/defaults type:=nfs;sublink:=${key};opts:=rw,intr,nosuid,grpid,rsize=1024
user          rfs:=/export/home;rhost:=server

I'm not a C hacker so can't realistically dive into the amd sources.

I'm now left wondering where to go after the 2 responses to my question.
Am I resigned to reverting to 2.1.7.1 and staying there? Is there an
alternative to amd? I (optimistically?) tried copying amd and libc V2
from a 2.1 system but that caused a kernel panic!

Where do I go? I have always praised FreeBSD to others but now feel a
bit let down. I know its free software etc but I'm disappointed that
something which used to work fine doesn't anymore. No-one's offered any
reason for the pause before e.g. more & vi starting either.

Any suggestions anyone?

Martin

Martin Sapsed                                Tel: +44 (0)1248 382409
Computing Lab                                Fax: +44 (0)1248 383826
University of Wales, Bangor
North Wales, LL57 2DG                     "Who do you say I am?"
m.sapsed@bangor.ac.uk                              Jesus of Nazareth