Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:37:44 +0100
From:      Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
To:        humbert <humbert@linefeed.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Basic Ports Question, KDE, Korganizer

--Boundary-02=_4WrU+KstjC79HTR

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 22.58, humbert wrote:
> Hello - I basically run xwindows so I can have a browser and a PIM
> program. I recently installed fbsd 4.7 from the mini-install CD. I
> used sysinstall to set up KDE and everything went perfectly.
>
> The version of korganizer in ports is 3.0.x something. But it looks
> ugly and I would like to upgrade to the latest version. I download the
> source and tried to compile, but it couldn't find any Qt headers or
> normal stuff like that.

I tend to prefer funtionality over worrying about a default appearance. =20
http://www.kde-look.org if "it's ugly" was the only complaint you had.

> So my questions are these:
>
> 1) How can I install kdepim/korganizer from ports originally, but then
> continue to compile from source to keep current? Do people normally
> just wait until the ports collection is updated?

The ports collection is updated generally the same day the official release=
 is=20
made (this is true for both KDE and GNOME, and many many other applications=
,=20
less true for others.  In a very broad generalisation, the bigger and more=
=20
visible the project, the sooner the ports get updated.)  KDE 3.1, for=20
example, has been in the ports for a few weeks now.

You have no need to compile from sources to keep current, what you need to =
do=20
is:

a: read the handbook and learn about cvsup and the ports collection
b: install sysutils/portupgrade, read it's man pages thoroughly, and use it=
 to=20
keep your system up to date.

> 2) Does anyone know why gnomepim wouldn't install? This is the error I
> am getting:
> =3D=3D=3D>  Extracting for gnomevfs-1.0.5_4
>
> >> Checksum mismatch for gnome/gnome-vfs-1.0.5.tar.bz2.
>
> Make sure the Makefile and distinfo file
> (/usr/ports/devel/gnomevfs/distinfo)
> are up to date.  If you are absolutely sure you want to override this
> check, type "make NO_CHECKSUM=3Dyes [other args]".
> *** Error code 1

The distribution file you downloaded wasn't complete, or was otherwise=20
damaged.  Remove it (it'll be in=20
/usr/ports/distfiles/gnome-vfs-1.0.5.tar.bz2) and try again.  It'll probabl=
y=20
work even better if you follow points a and b above.

Regards,
=2D-=20
Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/