Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:40:28 +0200
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3.4-RELEASE to 3.4-STABLE necessary?

Hey there,

The biggest advantage to tracking -STABLE is that you can keep as
current as you want with the ports.  If you stay with -RELEASE you will
quickly find that if you cvsup you'll need to install upgrade kits
unless you're running -STABLE.

The downside is that the packages on the CD become null and void (I
stand under correction here) but you will still be able to use the
source .tar.gz files on the CD's for the ports (provided that the
version you're installing is the same as the one on the CD).

For more information, you should see:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/current-stable.html

Hope this helps.
Cheers,