Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 23:38:17 +0200
From:      Stefan KORONKA <KoronkaS@interscope.ro>
To:        'Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios' <gustavo@ifour.com.br>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: web monitoring system

> Hi folks!
>
> I now this questions does not belong to freebsd, but since i run it,
> this list is the closer i get to have my doubt kicked!
>
> I am planning a web based system to help monitor my boxes!
> Since it will
> be designed to be used by web browsers i would have to install a web
> server on every box i would like to set. THAT'S NOT AN OPTION.

no, you don't have to install a webserver if you don't like to.

> My ideia is to write a single tools that will listen to an arbitrary
> port and will accept http requests and write the output to the user
> browser.
>
> Since i will have to known how a form is passed to the web server to
> have my small utility written. My questions is: what are the source of
> documentation should i seek for ? RFCs ? A kick ass book on
> UNIX Network
> Programming? What you gurus suggest me ?

i'm no way a guru, but i wrote once or twice this kind of apps ..

you would like to start with RFC 1945 - HTTP/1.0   It's only 50
pages or so, and it's enough for what i see that you need.  I don't
see any reason to go with HTTP/1.1 - it's far more too work to do.

after that, write some html "generator".  for this, i think you
could find some ready-written cgi libs, but i can't recommend you
something specific, since i wrote my own wrappers. search in
ports tree, i'm sure you will find something there.

you may need to know something about sockets.  i'll recommend "unix
network programming", w. richard stevens, prentice hall, 1990 :),
chapter 6 - berkley sockets.  also you may find another good docs on
the net.

but if you don't know nothing about sockets, and don't want to learn,
there is no problem :)  you can write a small "web server" without
this - just use the system's inetd.  for example, see how samba's swat
works (IIRC).  this will allow you to start an arbitrary program when
somebody connects to a specific port.  the port's input/ouput will
be redirected to the program's stdio, so you don't have to trouble with
sockets :)

stefan