Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 1997 08:45:15 -0800
From:      "Tim Oneil" <toneil@visigenic.com>
To:        Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Performance questions (Interrupt vs. polled)

At 09:50 AM 3/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm hoping not to start a flame war, but rather would just like to know the
>pros and cons, so I can make a decision as to how to work this driver
>for maximum overall system efficiency.

No flame. My learned opinion however is that a system with efficiant thread
scheduling (such as freeBSD) is best served by polling. Interrupted tasking
is best for serial, brain-dead systems, like DOS. Polling might not be the
best way to go on a slow system either, but on a 486-66 or better with
decent ram, I think polling is the way to go.

-Tim