Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 02:45:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RADIUS support in ppp(8)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Brian Somers wrote:

> Patches are always appreciated :-)  Accounting support was only
> recently added to the radius client.

The initial version (hack-quality) is now working.

I have duplicated radius_Authenticate() to radius_Account()
and right now I am calling it from IPCP FSM "up" and "down"
hooks. But the problem was of course to place accounting
routine right in the whole ppp FSM context and adjust it's
parameters.

And thus, few design questions arise:

1. Should accounting request be sent at the start/stop of IPCP
session (we need an IP address, ipcp throughput statistics) ?

2. Should it be sent every time the link in the MP bundle comes
up?

3. What is the best variable to get username from?
(cfg.auth.name from (struct bundle) is apparently empty).

4. How to get NAS-Port identifier? (right now I am taking
it from fp->bundle->links[0] <- the "first" datalink open).
I need an access to (struct physical) describing tty used.

5. Which variable to use as a best unique session
identifier (peerid is apparently set only for MP sessions)?

My understaing of internal PPP structure is not so great,
however, the code is quite easy to learn.

--
                 << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>