Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2004 03:36:06 -0500
From:      "James R. Phillips" <James_R_Phillips@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can FreeBSD Install damage an NTFS Partition

Hi,

I just installed freebsd on the second disk drive of a dell precision
650 computer with win2k installed on the first disk drive, NTFS
partition (slice).  Both disk drives have multiple partitions, but I
created free space on the second for the freebsd 4.9-386 install.

During the install, I created one freebsd slice in unpartitioned free
space, and left other partitions (slices) undisturbed.  I did not choose
to install the boot loader in the first disk mbr, preferring to continue
to use grub (I already had a win2k/linux multiboot setup).

After the install was complete, all seemed well until I tried to boot
back into win2k.  It appears that the file system was somehow damaged,
because I kept getting a BSOD during the boot.  The only way I could
find to fix it was to restore the NTFS c:\ partition from backup.

So - can a FreeBSD install in free space on the second drive somehow
damage an NTFS partition on the first drive?  Has this happened to
anyone else?

Thanks