Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:36:07 -0500
From:      Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE and continued sound issues.

--Boundary-02=_BmDcAYXL8Yx0W9y

Hello list,

I upgraded to KDE 3.2.1 about 3 months ago or so.  Ever since, sound=20
occaisionally crashes with an error along the lines of:

Sound Error:

/dev/dsp busy.  Using /dev/null

I re-installed kde via portupgrade last week, and I don't get the error as=
=20
often, but I do still get it.  Yesterday I used my sound all day, and it=20
never crashed.  I rebooted into Windows, did what I had to do, came back to=
=20
freebsd, and sound crashed right away.

I've tried grepping dsp in the output of lsof, but I get nothing.  I've loo=
ked=20
through the entire output and didn't see anything that looked like it would=
=20
have to do with locking my sound card.

1) How do I fix this so it stops crashing?

		-or-

2) How can I freeup my sound device (/dev/dsp) so I can utilize sound witho=
ut=20
a reboot?

=46YI, I'm using FreeBSD 4.9:
=46reeBSD nomad 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #10: Thu Feb 19 23:08:11 CST =
2004    =20
root@nomad:/usr/src/sys/compile/NOMAD  i386

TIA
=2D-=20