Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 01:58:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to fix cant load /kernel ???? Also soft updates fs corruption.

Are you sure the kernel in root is an ELF kernel?  I persoanlly haven't
seen this error, but it looks like the file type for /kernel is not known
to the loader.  Can you run ``file /kernel'' on it from the fixit floppy?
Also, according to Kirk's talk at FreeBSDCon, it seems SoftUpdates can (or
will) allow for crashed systems to come back up without needing to run
fsck.  I don't think all the support is there yet, but Kirk seems
confident that softupdate is good, and is going to get a lot better.  He's
in the process now of trying to sell it to the major industry hitters.
After that, it should become the default in FreeBSD.

Joe Clarke