Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 13:43:26 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with RCS files, patches, and PR's required.

Mark Ovens wrote:

> I've just made patches for the bochs port for the latest source
> code (990925, which allows Win95 to install without bombing at the
> first reboot) and was about to submit a PR but then I noticed that
> most (all?) port patches are diffs against the RCS (*,v) files.
>
> OK, I'll do the same, but then I find I don't have any RCS files
> on my system.

	You already got some good suggestions, but I'd like to offer one more.
What I usually do is to cd to the directory above the port, copy the
port directory to port.Dist, then edit the stuff in the port directory.
When I'm done I go back to the directory above and do 'diff -ur
port.Dist port > port.diff' and then I'm all set. If I remember I
actually use diff -cr because for some silly reason a majority of
developers seem to like context diffs better. :)

HTH,

Doug
--
"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty."