Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:53:17 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   nvidia-driver-1.0.8776 was giving me READ_DMA timeouts

--nextPart1285595.C5HlZ2SSqO

I upgraded my 6.1-STABLE box a week or so ago, and numerous ports at the sa=
me=20
time.  For the last week, I've had all sorts of random reboots on a normall=
y=20
rock solid system.  Yesterday I noticed that whenever I was looking at a=20
console, the machine was stable as usual, but when X was visible, the ATA=20
drives would throw spurious READ_DMA timeouts.  I downgraded from=20
nvidia-driver-1.0.8776 to .8774 and the problems have completely disappeare=
d=20
and the system is back to normal.

I know it sounds silly and I can't explain it, but the most recent NVidia=20
drivers made my system feel as stable as Windows ME on an overclocked Cyrix=
=2E =20
I'm posting this here mainly for the benefit of anyone else who might be=20
having similar problems.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser