Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 02:25:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sascha Schumann <sas@schell.de>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Security Mgr." <trouble@webfyre.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Egcs and FreeBSd 2.2.7

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Security Mgr. wrote:
>
> > OK Wow... it worked....... Using the ports collection
> > /usr/ports/lang/egcs ive sucessfully built the egcs compiler and did get
> > it installed......
> >
> > On a whim... and for curiosity sake i then tried to rebuild a 2.2.7
> > kernel with egcs... it built with some
> > minor warning messages and installed.... rebooted and all seems
> > stable......
> >
> > taking this a step further......... i installed egcs over the default
> > gcc 2.7.2 and ran a buildworld,
> >
> > IT did rebuild everything............. i then ran
> > installworld........... that also worked........
> >
> > so it seems ive just completely recompiled FreeBSD 2.2.7 with the ports
> > egcs snapshot, everything runs fine and is stable..........
> > IT WORKED......... but should i expect any less from freebsd ;)
>
> Huh.  Last I head egcs couldn't build a kernel without introducing fatal
> flaws into it.  Perhaps they fixed it.

Let me tell you a story: Once upon a time we got a new server here. It was
a SMP machine, so we tried a SMP kernel compiled with egcs 1.0.3a. I never
had trouble with the compiler, so I thought it would work just fine.

So, the server was running, it was in the lab and noone used it. Then
there were (again) some complains about the 3com boomerang driver on SMP
machines (did I mention it? I'm speaking from Linux), so I wrote a little
test program which simulated a massive load of web requests. And whoops -
our new server died within minutes.

To bring this story to an short end: The server would work perfectly in UP
mode (perfectly - it didn't crash during our tests), but would crash in
SMP. A switch from egcs to gcc 2.7.2.3 cured the problems within minutes.

So, if you have problems, try gcc (or better: stick with it).

Bye,
        Sascha

(running on Linux 2.1.111 compiled with pgcc-980715)