Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:54:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      "Nick Loman" <nick@loman.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   10 days

I've moved my mail server from RedHat 6.0/Linux over to FreeBSD
4.0-STABLE/qmail for security (lots of relay hacking and Linux newbie
hackers).

Anyway, pleased to see only 10 days into running a FreeBSD installation
the spam kiddies are trying to hack in again :-)

hosts.allow:

ALL : PARANOID : RFC931 20 : deny
ftpd : a few select hosts : allow
telnetd : a few select hosts : allow
popa3d : ALL : allow
ALL : ALL : deny

qmail running off tcpserver.

Hack attempts are standard trying to get in through ftp and telnet. Also a
request from a root@<ip address> to the DNS port.

Given that I'm a FreeBSD newbie, and notwithstanding general security
tips, what should I be looking out for in these early days?

Regards,

Nick.