Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:20:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/8354: fwtk port does not compile

The following reply was made to PR ports/8354; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To: Greg Shaffer <gshaffer@leaky.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:20:29 -0400 (EDT)

 On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Greg Shaffer wrote:

 > At 03:16 PM 10/18/98 -0400, Bill wrote:
 > >On Sat, 17 Oct 1998 gshaffer@leaky.com wrote:
 > >
 > >> *** 11,17 ****
 > >>    *           added sleep on bind failure.
 > >>    */
 > >>
 > >> ! #include      <signal.h>
 > >>   #include      <syslog.h>
 > >>   #include      <errno.h>
 > >>   #include      <sys/types.h>
 > >> --- 11,17 ----
 > >>    *           added sleep on bind failure.
 > >>    */
 > >>
 > >> ! #include      <sys/signal.h>
 > >>   #include      <syslog.h>
 > >>   #include      <errno.h>
 > >>   #include      <sys/types.h>
 > >
 > >I'm not sure how in depth your C knowledge is, but, you should probaly
 > >make sure no functions from signal.h are being used before you just delete
 > >them.
 > >

 > I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of C is not fantastic, but if
 > you would have looked at the files involved (e.g. signal.h and
 > sys/signal.h) you would have noticed that signal.h includes sys/signal.h.
 >
 > I did not delete out the line. According to my C language reference "!" is
 > not a legal comment token. Its a by product of the context diff (diff -c) I
 > submitted with the PR.
 >
 > >Also, a more appropriate patch could be to merely comment out those lines
 > >as opposed to deleteing them completly.

 My apologies, I read this patch completly wrong. I'm used to using diff
 -ruN, and I read the '!' wrong.

 > Commenting lines in an include file like this that is used by the system is
 > very dangerous. Since other files depend on this include file and fwtk was
 > the only one that had problem, the problem probably lies with the fwtk
 > code, not sys/signal.h!

 I meant commenting in the fwtk files, but I was wrong about what the patch
 was doing to begin with.

 - bill fumerola [root/billf]@chc-chimes.com - computer horizons corp -
 -  ph:(800)252.2421 x128 / bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - BF1560  -

 	"Logic, like whiskey, loses its beneficial effect
 	when taken in too large quantities" -Lord Dunsany