Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:26:16 -0600
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can TCP changes be put in RELENG_4?

* Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu> [011206 15:12] wrote:
> In message <20011206094209.A60489@ussenterprise.ufp.org>, Leo Bicknell cleopede:
>
> Speaking as someone with a lab full of older machines, including
> some 8MB 386SXs happily humming along under FreeBSD, and no machine
> with > 32 MB, I obviously am going to disagree vehemently with this
> entire line of argumentation.  (I always build a custom kernel for
> my machines, but if you required 64MB or more just to boot the
> installation floppy, I would have to go buy RAM just to have a
> machine to install the next version on.  Ptui!)
>
> However, I do see the value in making it easier to have a faster,
> more memory-intensive kernel, so why not just provide a "turbo
> kernel" in the standard root distribution along with the current
> "generic kernel"?  Shoot, I think even casual, non kernel-configuring
> users might be interested in comparing performance under the two
> kernels; plus, having the config file for the turbo kernel available
> for perusal in the kernel source would be a big plus in my book.

Considering how trivial it is to build a "kern.flp" nowadays, I'm
suprised that:

1) No one has made a HOWTO on doing this.
2) No one has added to the standard release additional boot
   floppies.
3) No one has fixed up the CDrom image so that the loader
   prompts for several different kernels specially made for
   machines with low memory.

*shrug*

It's not that difficult, but my TODO list is about 2 miles long
at the current time.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
                           http://www.morons.org/rants/gpl-harmful.php3