Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 16:45:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      joed@telecom.ksu.edu (Joe Diehl)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   wine12[15-22]96

Greetings,

I spent sometime over the past week trying to get wine122296 running
under FreeBSD 2.2-ALPHA.  Compiled with very little effort (on my part,
my cpu is getting made at me :/), but at run time i386_set_ldt returned
invalid argument and wine refused to run ("Are you sure you recompiled
your kernel with options USER_LDT" or whatever).

Downloaded the port of wine121596 out of ports-current and compiled the
package.. Same thing...  Downloaded the prebuilt packages of 120196 and 121596.
120196 worked and 121596 failed.

In the end, after recompiling the kernel with debugging turned out
for user_ldt, I noticed that wine120196 was allocating ldt 17 first while
121596 and 122296 was allocating ldt 6 first.

In memory/selector.c there is a #define near the top (FIRST_LDT_ENTRY_TO_ALLOC)
which defines which LDT to allocate first.  All three versions had this
#defined to 6.  I have no idea as of yet why the differance in 120196, but
resetting this #define to 17 eleminated the problem...

Not sure if the problem is specific to my machine or is something that
may want to be added in the port, but thought I would bring it up.

Note that I am not subscribed to freebsd-ports at this time, so please
cc: replies to me.  Thanks

---
Joe Diehl <joed@telecom.ksu.edu>
KSU Dept. of Telecommunications