Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:23:55 -0500
From:      Benjamin Lewis <blewis@vet.purdue.edu>
To:        Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: User PPP question

Carey Nairn wrote:

> The situation is that I run ppp -auto and download mail twice a day out
> of cron.  The PPP connection is also used intermittently for other things
> (WWW browsing etc.) and I would just like to periodically check to see if
> I am connected and download mail if I am.

I have a little tcl thingy that does this.  The easiest way to check
whether
the connection is up is to check whether the lockfile exists.  I check
whether /var/spool/lock/LCK..cuaa3 exists in my case.

Of course, this relies on the fact that PPP is the only thing that uses
that device on my system and that PPP is pretty good at releasing the
lock even if it dies oddly.

-Ben
--
Benjamin Lewis - blewis@vet.purdue.edu