Date:      Thu, 09 Jun 2016 16:22:50 -0400
From:      "Garance A Drosehn" <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Justin Hibbits" <jhibbits@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PowerPC 64-bit time_t

On 9 Jun 2016, at 13:41, Justin Hibbits wrote:

> At the devsummit earlier today I mentioned for FreeBSD 12 wanting
> 64-bit time_t across the board.  It was pointed out that the only ones
> with 32-bit time_t are i386 and powerpc (32-bit).  I've made the
> changes necessary for at least kernel (world is still building right
> now), but it's obviously an ABI and KBI incompatible change.
> Addressing KBI is a nonissue, as that's expected to break at major
> releases.  ABI is another issue.  I'm unsure how to properly address
> ABI breakage -- bumping libc's .so version, or reversion all symbols
> that use something with time_t, or something else.  If I can address
> it before the code freeze, it could be done for FreeBSD 11, which
> leaves about 6 hours from now.
>
> Any thoughts?

I don't know if it would help to look at the changes done back when
sparc64 went to a 64-bit time_t.  I did a lot of that work, but I'll
have to admit I remember almost nothing about the changes.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                =     drosih@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org