Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 16:35:56 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE2 fails to compile in strangest possible way

While I have seriously considered trying GNOME out, that wouldn't really
satisfy my desire to figure out what is going on with this file.  Top
shows the compilation sitting at swread, truss is not telling me
anything of interest, and it seems like the system is sitting idle even
during all this.  Hmm...

Laurence

Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> Laurence Berland wrote:
>
> > All,
> >         Trying to compile KDE 4.1 on a somewhat recent 4.1-STABLE yields some
> > strange results.  All appears to be going well, until it begins
> > compiling the file mcopidl.cc.  The precise line is
> >
> > c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I,,.,,.dcop -I../../kdecore
> > -I../../kdeui -I../../kssl -I/usr/X11R6/include/qt2 -I/usr/X11R6/include
> > -I/usr/local/include -I./../mcop -I/usr/local/include
> > -I/usr/local/include  -O -pipe -frtti -c mcopidl.cc
> >
> > It doesn't fail per se, but it's been working on this for at least 7
> > hours, with no sign of anything happening, though the activity lights
> > are flashing.  Top shows some activity involving this process, and it
> > does seem to be using a large and oft-varied amount of memory (~50-70
> > MB).  Just for reference the machine is a PPro 200 with 32 MB ram, 128MB
> > swap, running a generic kernel.
>
> Try GNOME - it's now almost at par with KDE in usability/eye candiness (even
> beats it in the later category IMO), while uses old plain C and not so heavily
> CORBA-minded, so it is definitely the only choice for low-end machines.
>
> -Maxim

Laurence Berland
Intern, Flooz.com
Northwestern '04