Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 01:15:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: User-mode PPP, -auto, and -direct

> [ Having PPP auto-dial the connection no matter if it's needed or not ]
>
> OK.  The PPP code is quite readable, so I was able to get it to do what
> I wanted in 5 lines of actual code.  However, being a good programmer, I
> also updated the documentation and changed some of the error messages to
> reflect the new option so the diffs come out to be 5K as a context diff.
> If anyone is interested in the code I can send it to them.  I'm passing
> it by Atsushi first before I commit it, but it's *really* short so let
> me know if you want it.

We want it ! (or at least I do :)

> With the addition of this and the use of ipfw, FreeBSD now has all of
> the features of MorningStar PPP which we paid $700 for, plus we have the
> source and a great support staff which answer their email pretty
> quickly.  *grin*

well, I've played alot with PPP the last couple of days to support
my connection to my new ISP (cybercity.dk) and after reading through
the sources as Nate did to figure out how it works, it has served my
needs perfectly. This new option will come in very handy...

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.