Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 23:08:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        mszlaga@coast.net (Mark Szlaga)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ypbind not binding

[Looks like your MUA globbed everything onto one line. Reformatted.]

Mark Szlaga wrote,
> Greetings,
>    Short:I am having trouble getting ypbind to bind to the server.
>    Long: I am running ypserv on my gateway machine.

[snip]

> Machine: P-120
> OS: FreeBSD 3.2-stable (compiled about a month ago right after the release)
> NIC: DEC 21140 based Kingston and NE2000 compliant SMC card

If everything else on the machine is working, really unlikely to have
anything to do with hardware. Nice to have the FreeBSD version.

> Video: Piece of crap 512kb ISA (it does text and only text :)

How could this matter? :)

> This is a basic stripped down machine with only what it needs to function.
>
> natd, Kernel, and firewall created as per FAQ.  everything else works like a champ.

Could you show us your NIS parameters set /etc/rc.conf file? Provided
that is how you are starting NIS. If not, how are you doing it? Of
most importance, are you using ypset? (My vague guess from your
statements is that a machine with multiple interfaces could have
ypserv and ypbind missing each other by trying to talk to each other
in the wrong places... but just a guess until we get more info.)