Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 18:23:36 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "W. Campbell" <wcampbel@botbay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lib crypt/descrypt/scrypt

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 11:14:47AM -0500, W. Campbell wrote:
> When did a single libcrypt replace the separate libdescrypt and
> libscrypt libraries in -STABLE?

FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE i386 Release Notes
.
.
.
  libcrypt and libdescrypt have been unified to provide
  a configurable password authentication hash library. Both
  the md5 and des hash methods are provided unless the des
  hash is specifically compiled out.

FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE Errata
.
.
.
  A release note mentioned the merging of two libraries used for
  password authentication hashing, but listed their names
  incorrectly. The libraries that were merged were libscrypt and
  libdescrypt; the new unified library is called libcrypt.

> My reason for asking...
>
> I've been having some odd errors[1] when profiling, and finally
> traced it down to a stale libdescrypt.so.2 library remaining in
> /usr/lib.
>
> Is there any harm in removing the descrypt and scrypt libraries,

Nothing in the FreeBSD system should care. No way to tell if you have
third party software that might care, but it is not likely.

> and
> can there be something in UPDATING letting others know that these
> libraries changed and may need to be removed?

This is the first time I've heard of any problems with having the old
ones lying around.

> I run FreeBSD botbay.net 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Fri Mar  8
> 10:21:33 EST 2002     root@botbay.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KABEL  i386
> and the system has been updated from source since 3.1-R

I have a heavily used system has been updated from source since
2.2.7-R and haven't seen any problems.

> [1]
> wcampbel@botbay (Stats): bin/mkpasswd
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2: Undefined symbol
> "_CurrentRuneLocale"

What is mkpasswd?