Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 23:39:01 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        CyberDealer@CyberJunkie.com, Freebsd Newbies List <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Various Error Messages

On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 01:02:54AM +1000, Brett Gray wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what the following messages mean????

Questions like this should be asked on the -questions mailing list, where
you are likely to get more informative answers than the following.

> Jul  9 13:00:16 mail /kernel: stray irq 7
> Jul  9 13:00:16 mail /kernel: too many stray irq 7's; not logging any more

Your printer and soundcard (if you have one) are probably clashing.
The -questions mailing list archives (try using the error message as your
search string) can probably tell you how to fix it.

> Jul 10 10:04:11 gateway /kernel: sio1: 1 more silo overflow (total 1)
> Jul 10 11:11:45 gateway /kernel: sio1: 1 more silo overflow (total 2)

Your serial connection is running too fast for the speed of your machine
(probably, the folks in -questions can probably be more specific).

> Jul 10 10:32:25 gateway routed[66]: punt RTM_LOSING without gateway
> Jul 10 10:37:45 gateway last message repeated 5 times

You're using dial-up PPP *and* running routed. The folks in -questions
can tell you why this is a bad idea, or, if my guess is wrong, what
you're doing wrong.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?