Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:26:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Don <don@calis.BlackSun.org>
To:        Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
Cc:        Scot Elliott <scot@london.virgin.net>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha PC

> I have an AS200-4/233 with SRM "V6.2-2, built on Aug  7 1996 at 11:55:31" and
> I'm looking to upgrade to V6.9.  It's not clear to me what needs to go
> on the floppy.  What exactly is this "mkboot.exe"?  Do I need Digital
> Unix to run it (in which case, I'm stuck)?
> Is this firmware upgrade even worth the bother?
I have three identical machines running NetBSD at the moment (I have
not had the time to upgrade to FreeBSD) I am running SRM version 6.8 and
they run very well.

In order to upgrade the rom version you take the newest rom image
and write it to a floppy using the mkboot.exe (execute mkboot.exe
<rom-image> from dos with a floppy in drive a:) then you put the floppy in
your drive and from the srm console you type boot <floppy device name>
(Again I dont remember the specifics because it was a little while ago.
You can get the floppy device name from the SRM console show device
command I believe) the machine will boot the floppy and then give you the
option of updating the SRM console. execute this command and when it
finishes you power the machine down and then power it up again. (Some docs
say to wait like 20 seconds in between the power down and power back up
just to be safe but I dont know if this necessary. It doesnt hurt though
so I wait) After this your machine will be running the newer SRM rom.

-Don