Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 02:46:00 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMBFS Unix to Windows End of Line Problem

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:11:40AM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> Ok, your argument, while I don't completely disagree with it, may just
> as well be applied to byte ordering, ebsdic, or whatever.

Yes, and if I transfer a file from one system to another I normally
expect it to not be changed or modified in any way by the transfer.

> There is an expectation that a text file looks like a line of text
> as it would on a typewriter (quaint old Unixism). I would argue that
> the point of cross-platform file sharing (and I mean plain-text)
> should be completely transparent to the user. She should not have to
> use a program for a file from one origin and another program for
> a file from a different one.

I agree with you on this, but IMO the level at which the translation
should take place is in the texteditor rather than at the
filesystem/network level.

A texteditor that automatically treats any of <CR>, <LF> or <CR><LF>
as end-of-line markers would do this job just fine.

> Having thought about it though, I am not sure I can think of a foolproof
> way of doing it.

That is because there is no foolproof way of doing it.
There are some fairly good ways but none that is totally foolproof.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson