Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:31:30 -0700
From:      Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   startx resets the modem

Have a question which I can't figure out:

I have a modem [isa [PnP, but jumpers are set
[PnP is off]], com4/cuaa3], I dial out to isp,
everything is working great [this is done as
root].  When I login with a regular user account,
and then type 'startx', this resets my modem
[resets= makes it hang up], so basically I have
to dial back out after starting X.  This only
occurs when I startx, after it's started and I
dial back out, I can then switch between X, and
console all day long and it wont' do anything to
the modem...So the question is:  How come a
regular user can make my modem hang up just like
that?, It's just annoying if I'm on console and
decide to surf the web with Netscape, I have to
re-dial my ISP. [Not sure, but I think it also
did this in linux].  Someone had suggested that
it can be X initializing my mouse? [ps/2].  Any
ideas, or has anyone ever heard of this before?

www.nul.cjb.net
www.freebsd.org