Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:37:29 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Matthew West <lonewolf@apotheosis.ml.org>
To:        "SiR_PsYkO[CR] (Alex Trull)" <sirpsyko@mindless.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gui's, browsers,Irc Clients etc..

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, SiR_PsYkO[CR] (Alex Trull) wrote:

> I am very new to freebsd, and wish to find out about which guis to use,
> which browsers work best with them, and what irc clients there are out
> there...

For a GUI, you'll probably want to use X Windows (aka X11, XFree86, etc.)
as it's free, and comes as a distribution with FreeBSD.

You'll need a windows manager to use with X. I use AfterStep. You might
want to look at http://www.PLiG.org/xwinman to help you decide on what
windows manager you'd like to use.

For a browser, you can use Netscape.  I personally prefer lynx (compiled
with slang so that I can see it in pretty colours ;-) ) unless I'm
specifically wanting graphic content.  You might also want to take a look
at what FreeBSD are doing with the Mozilla source at
http://www.freebsd.org/mozilla.html.

For IRC, I use ircII (currently version 4.4).  BitchX has also recently
been ported, but I find it a bit too "elite" :-)

If you would prefer a GUI IRC client, take a look at zircon or kirc.

> I would love some information on what to get etc... Thankyou!
You can get information on what I have mentioned, as well as quite a few
other dandy things (like how to install them), from
http://www.freebsd.org/ports ;-)

If you already have the ports collection installed, you'll find the "make
search key=blah" command useful.

So,
# cd /usr/ports
# make search key=irc
will show you information on all the ports containing the keyword "irc" :)

Have fun!
  Matthew

--lonewolf@apotheosis.ml.org
  http://www.apotheosis.ml.org