Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:08:07 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Keith Woodman" <keith@lightningweb.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Boot disk

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:32:04 -0800 (PST), Keith Woodman wrote:

>Thanks for all the responses. I have it now.  I must say that 90% of you
>have been very rude. I detect a hint of intellectual snobbery here.
>My name is not   " hey buddy "  .
>It doesn't do the image of the OS and it's supporters well when people
>come in and slam on someone asking a simple question. An answer would
>suffice. Can all the comments. Yes it may have been easy to locate. But
>not for someone not familiar with the servers at Free-BSD. And the search
>on the freebsd.org site was flat out dead for answers. As was dejanews.
>Thank you to all those that didn't lower themselves to personal attacks
>and provided info instead.

I wasn't involved, but let me add my comments.

Your first email contained what could be construed to be an insult (a
flame):
You said: I can't believe FreeBSD has made it so hard to get something
as simple as a boot floppy for a net install.
That would probably tick-off anyone who works on the web site or
FreeBSD in general.

David Greenman may have ticked you off with:
   Is it really that difficult to find?
Believe me, this wasn't a flame, it was an honest question. If you
responded to him with yes and explained the path you took and where you
went in circles, he probably would have instructed the webmaster to
make it easier. When people respond to me and I get ticked-off, I first
calm myself down and assume that that was not their intention. If
someone *really* wants to flame me, they'll have to be *pointed*, not
subtle.

You came back with: I did a search on the FreeBSD site and it gave
me absolutely nothing on a search.

This may be because the search engine and you don't speak the same
language yet.  I had trouble with the search engine the other day and
the guys who work on it straightened me out in less than 24hrs.
Microsoft never did that for me...

Oleg's response may have ticked you off:
You were suppose to read FAQ first, since you have a T3 ;)

Get the floppy image from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/floppies/boot.flp
and the ms-dos program to create it from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/fdimage.exe

But notice that he winked like this ;) which means he's teasing, but
not flaming. By the way, his answer is the most complete and well
targeted of any you got!!

At one point you stated:
They could make the X configuration a little better as well.
Who is "they" ??
In case you are unaware, X is provided (free) by XFree86. Not really
related to FreeBSD. See http://www.xfree86.org

So what I'm trying to say is that you've been too sensitive, IMO.
Believe me, you haven't been flamed. I seen it and this wasn't it. I
sincerely hope no one takes any of this the wrong way, I'm trying to
show that no flames were meant.

The 3.0R release was originally *too* easy to find and we had a *lot*
of newbies downloading it, instead of 2.2.7R or 2.2.8R, which, in many
cases, would have been more appropriate, since it's *more* stable and
better documented. The webmaster made the change to *protect* people
from themselves.

Many of the links on www.freebsd.org don't look like links. This causes
some confusion, but you did get quite a few good answers and they
*really* didn't flame you...

Hope this allays your emotions...

Welcome to FreeBSD!!

Steve Friedrich
Viva la FreeBSD!!
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.