Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 1997 09:36:51 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
To:        Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Broken Amanda/Archive DAT chio/seagate-changer

In the archives, on May 6, 1997, you said about "amanda/Archive DAT
changer problem solved":

    We've finally gotten Amanda working correctly with our Archive 4mm DAT
    changer (4586NP).  First, 2.2/3.0 now has the chio SCSI changer code from
    NetBSD incorporated.  Second, Amanda 2.3.0.4 from ftp.gps.caltech.edu
    includes a seagate-changer program that can control the changer directly
    using the chio mechanism.  This has been a long standing problem for us
    and just thought that I point it out if somebody else is using a similar
    configuration.

On that recommendation and a few others here recently, I got one from
www.instantauction.com for $175. This changer holds 4 4mm DATs in an
internal cassette with built-in changer mechanism. Seems happy to run
with dump and manual amanda (I'm an amanda newbie but it looks like
exactly what I need).

Problem is I can't get the changer part to work. I'm running
FreeBSD-2.2-Stable, cvsupped a week about a week ago.  I compiled in
support for ch0 in the kernel and it's recognized at boot:

    (ncr0:6:0): "ARCHIVE Python 28849-XXX 4.CM" type 1 removable SCSI 2
    st0(ncr0:6:0): Sequential-Access
    st0(ncr0:6:0): 5.0 MB/s (200 ns, offset 8)
    density code 0x13, 512-byte blocks, write-enabled

    (ncr0:6:1): "ARCHIVE Python 28849-XXX 4.CM" type 8 removable SCSI 2
    ch0(ncr0:6:1): Medium-Changer 4 slots, 1 drive, 1 picker

Some of the chio commands don't work, most notably "status":

    operator@thanatos<17> chio status
    chio: /dev/ch0: CHIOGSTATUS: Input/output error

After such a failure, the logs show the following, three times:

    Oct  9 09:19:38 thanatos /kernel: ch0(ncr0:6:1): extraneous data discarded.
    Oct  9 09:19:38 thanatos /kernel: ch0(ncr0:6:1): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @f0642800.

Others do work, including movement from drive to slot#, and slot# to drive:

    operator@thanatos<18> chio params
    /dev/ch0: 4 slots, 1 drive, 1 picker
    /dev/ch0: current picker: 0

    operator@thanatos<19> chio move drive 0 slot 0	[does the right thing]
    operator@thanatos<20> chio move slot 3 drive 0	[does the right thing]

I can't get *anything* to work with the Amanda "seagate-changer"
command. I had to tweak it a little, adding "#ifdef HAVE_CHIO",
changing the include to "<sys/chio.h>", and changing the name of the
function name "isnumber" to "myisnumber". Still, no joy -- IOCTL
failures:

    operator@thanatos<26> seagate-changer -info
    ioctl failed: 0xffffffff Input/output error

    operator@thanatos<27> seagate-changer -reset
    ioctl failed: 0xffffffff Input/output error

    operator@thanatos<28> seagate-changer -eject
    ioctl failed: 0xffffffff Input/output error

Syslog logs the same message, three times each, for each of the above
command failures:

    Oct  9 09:25:19 thanatos /kernel: ch0(ncr0:6:1): extraneous data discarded.
    Oct  9 09:25:19 thanatos /kernel: ch0(ncr0:6:1): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @f0642800.

Can someone who's gotten this working tell me how you did it, or what
I'm doing wrong that "chio status" and "seagate-changer -info" fail?

Many thanks.