Date:      Tue, 27 Dec 1994 22:35:10 +0059 (MET)
From:      Andreas Schulz <ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        handy@condor.oscs.montana.edu (Brian Handy)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /proc

> What is the /proc directory for?  I seem to be accumulating some files
> there, but I don't know what for and it's beginning to fill up that
> disk partition.

Assuming /proc is the mounted proc filesystem the "files" are infos
about processes. This is used for debugging processes and for getting
statistics about processes. "w" and "ps" uses it.
And it should not fill up the partition, if it does it, something is
setup wrong on your machine.
You will get some info about it with a "man procfs" :-).

	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )

Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
Gebaeude 13.7   Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe