Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:56:42 -0800
From:      David <davidd@datasphereweb.com>
To:        Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Losing FTP (last step to security)

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 06:52:09PM -0500, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> David <davidd@datasphereweb.com> writes:
>
> > If you provide shell access through ssh then zmodem is availble for
> > client to server uploads. Also, available is scp. Scp is a little
> > harder for the avg Win user to manage. As far as I know there is no
> > graphical ftp for scp like ws_ftp. It's more cmd line driven.
>
> Hmm.  You've gotta agree that this is too geeky for your average
> point-and-click guy.
>
> Come to think of it, can I set up ftp daemon to use a different
> password file from the main one?  Still take the user to his/her home
> directory, just use a different password, like CVS's pserver does.

And how many users do you think will just set it up with the same password as their pop3? Unless
of course you enforce different passwords.

--
|> /\ \/ @
davidd@datasphereweb.com
DataSphere - Back end web programming, site security, and networking

david.daugherty@netmanage.com
Software Engineer
NetManage - The Bridge to E-Business

http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/~doc
ICQ: 21106703

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past"
                                   -Thomas Jefferson