Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:59:37 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Thierry Black" <thierryblack@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
Subject:   RE: SirCam virus

I don't use cyrus and I didn't know it could do local delivery.
Is there any way you can configure it out of inetd or something to
just act as a imap or pop3 server and leave the local delivery alone?
Can it pull mail out of /var/mail/user instead or /var/spool/imap/user?
Perhaps if there's a cyrus mailing list they know?  I'd be very surprised
if cyrus could not be used as just a pop3/imap server.

This is the problem with these one-size-fits-all programs that attempt
to do everything, not modular enough.  As it is if your calling cyrus
directly from sendmail as a local delivery agent with a Mcyrus, there's no
easy way to intercept the mail to filter it.  Any filtering would have to be
done by cyrus unless you tried to use the sendmail milter functionality.
(and I have no idea if this could be made to work, milters are a relatively
young addition to Sendmail and I don't think many people use them yet)

I use uw-imap myself but you need to get the very latest and still it's
unsafe if you allow shell access to the mailserver (a very idiotic thing
to do in my opinion) but it does only act as a pop3/imap server and
leaves the local delivery alone.  I agree though that it leaves much
to be desired and early versions of uw-imap were horrible, had bad memory
usage and were full of bugs, etc.