Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 15:25:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marino Ladavac <lada@pc8811.gud.siemens.at>
To:        "Gregory D. Moncreaff" <moncrg@am026091.res.ray.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: limits && /etc/login.conf

I take it you are running a more or less default kernel with
MAXUSERS set at 10 in config file.

Thus, 360 file descriptors is a system wide maximum--no more
than that many can exist at any given time.

This maximum can be increased either by increasing MAXUSERS
and rebuilding a kernel, or by setting the sysctl variables
kern.maxfiles and kern.maxfilesperproc during the runtime.

Take a look at kernel rebuild and sysctl manpage for the
two approaches.

FWIF, I'm going the sysctl way because I don't need that many
mbufs, but I do need a lot of file descriptors (KDE apps eat
fd's for breakfast).

/Marino

On 21-May-98 Gregory D. Moncreaff wrote:

> I'm trying to write a program that deals with a
> couple of thousand descriptors and I'm confused
> about how limits is reporting what should be
> derived from login.conf.
>
> Trying a both a "default" and "root" class user,
> I've set openfiles-cur/max to 1024 but when I
> type `limit` or `limits` it reports 360 as the
> openfiles limits.
>
> When I grep for `openfiles` in /etc/login.conf
> I find no occurences of 360.  Where did it come
> from?
>
> How/should get/setrlimit work? when I call
> getrlimit it reports a max of 360 and cur of 0?
>
> thanx,
> -g

Marino Ladavac