Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 19:09:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        marcel@scc.nl
Cc:        FreeBSD-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seagate Backup Exec for Linux?

In article <3875BC35.F0D47500@scc.nl> you write:
>Juergen Lock wrote:
>>
>> Well, we just updated our -stable and tried this program in the
>> subject again, and it still didn't see any directories.  here's
>> a snippet from linux_kdump...  (EXPOSE and immotest are directories
>> and they don't show up at all in Backup Exec.)
>>
>[ktrace snipped]
>
>I can't see anything trivially wrong...

Hmmm...

>>  I'm willing to help debug this and test patches...  (Btw i just
>> noticed there's an agent.linux and also an agent.linux_old in the
>> tarball and one links libc5 and the other links libc6.  so for we
>> have only tried one.
>
>Which one?

 The libc6 one.

>How does the other do?

 Just tried: same problem.

>>  Oh and there are also isc and sco binaries in the tarball, would
>> those maybe have more chances?
>>  And is the old linux version that worked on 3.2(?) maybe still
>> available somewhere?
>
>I wouldn't know (both questions :-)

 Well and this is getting even stranger:  nfs-mounted this same
filesystem (/smb/src/disk0) from a linux box and gave its export/
(which is also exported via samba as you probably already guessed)
to the agent.be running there:  exact same result, files show
up but no directories!

 So this must be some property of ufs that also shows up over nfs
that it doesn't like, and there's probably nothing wrong at all
with the linux emulation...

 Oh:

int
linux_ustat(p, uap)
	/*
	 * XXX - Don't return an error if we can't find a vnode for the
	 * device. Our dev_t is 32-bits whereas Linux only has a 16-bits
	 * dev_t. The dev_t that is used now may as well be a truncated
	 * dev_t returned from previous syscalls. Just return a bzeroed
	 * ustat in that case.
	 */

 16-bit dev_t, oh dear :(  I just re-mounted it on /dev/da1e (instead
of the `real' device with the slice), and now it sees the directories!
Soo... its included in today's backup run now and we'll see if any
other problems show up.

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>