Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 17:33:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Resource Limits ...

I run a FreeBSD 2.2.2-R box as a printer server for a couple of days. The
system worked fine before with 2.1.6-R for more than a year.

There are a lot of printer queues (about 70) and a lot of complex(?) input
filter scripts. Sometimes the system is heavily loaded.

Occasionally some queues stop working with an error message like `fork:
resource temporarily unavailible'. So

(i)   I recompiled the kernel with MAXUSERS=20 to be sure,
(ii)  I removed all limits on # of processes in /etc/login.conf
      (and ran cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf),
(iii) but nevertheless the (bash) filter scripts still had a soft limit
      of 40 processes which seems to be to low.

So where does this limit come from? I've no idea.

As a workaround I modified /etc/rc in this way:
	(
  	ulimit -Hu 300 ; ulimit -Su 300;
	echo -n ' printer';             lpd
	)

Now the filter scripts run with a soft limit of 300 processes which seems
to help.

Has anybody a better idea? Or do I misunderstand something?

Thanks
Konrad Heuer, GWDG, Goettingen, Germany (kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de)